Thursday, July 24, 2008

Coinstar Scam



Ok so the idea basically hit me a while back. I went to the Coinstar at CVS to cash in some change. The machine gave me a receipt to take to the cashier and I got my money.

I was thinking...since the coinstar machines don't directly communicate with the cashiers registers, it would be easy to falsify an coinstar receipt for however much money you want.

There's really only a couple real obstacles:

1. The paper has to be similar to the coinstar receipt

2. The date and time printed on the fraudulent receipt must be the same day your cashing it in, and just a couple minutes after using the machine

3. The bar code used for the coinstar machines must be decoded then re coded for X amount.

Of course you can only go to each store once in order to not get caught, and keep the withdrawals withing reasonable range $50 - $200.

I do not condone ANYONE doing what I just mentioned as it is ILLEGAL and you will most definitely go to jail. I am just putting my ideas out here so someone can better secure the system.


Please discuss ...

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

2 comments:

max loh said...

But how to decode/recode the barcode?

Anonymous said...

hey i was just wondering how those involved decode and recode the bar code.